Construction Defect Lawyers in Camden, SC

Work with a construction defect lawyer in Camden, SC at Savage, Royall & Sheheen, LLP. We provide our clients with knowledgeable and skilled legal representation to seek compensation for construction defects. Call 803-432-4391 for a consultation about your case.

Attorney for Construction Defects in Camden, SC

Have you noticed a problem with your home, condominium, or duplex? Our team at Savage, Royall & Sheheen, LLP, has construction litigation attorneys currently taking new cases. We invite you to contact our law firm to discuss your situation.

You may qualify to receive financial compensation. Our lawyer for construction defects can represent you. We are a well-established law firm that you can trust with your legal needs. Contact us to learn more and start your case today.

Compensation for Construction Defects

Have you recently:

  • Built a new home or other residence?
  • Had renovations done?
  • Bought a home that has been built or renovated recently?

You may have taken one of these major steps, only to discover a problem. You placed your trust in others and received substandard work. The financial investment you made may be in doubt.

Our law firm represents individuals, families, and corporations who have been harmed by defective residential constructions and renovations. Bringing a claim requires understanding the law, detailed factual investigation, and following legal steps precisely. As your advocates, we pursue your compensation through all the necessary tasks. We ensure our clients get the help they need.

We have the dedication and personalized service that you expect from a small-town law firm. For immediate assistance with your construction defect matter, contact us for your consultation.

What Is a Construction Defect?

S.C. Code § 40-59-820 defines a construction defect as a deficiency arising from any of the following regarding residential improvements:

  • Construction
  • Design
  • Specifications
  • Survey
  • Planning
  • Supervision of construction
  • Observation of construction

A defect may impact the structure or foundation of your home. It may also impact your home’s interior, including electrical, plumbing or HVAC systems.

What kinds of things can cause a construction defect?

A construction defect may result from:

  • Defective materials, products, or components used in residential building
  • Violation of applicable building codes, in effect at the time
  • Failing to meet professional standards of care
  • Not complying with acceptable trade standards for workmanship at the time of construction

The underlying basis for a claim is that those responsible for the building or renovation didn’t complete the work up to professional standards, with sound and safe workmanship. A claim may state any legal theory that applies including breach of contract, damages for negligent construction, personal injury or death, property damage, and economic loss.

Who May Be Liable for a Construction Defect?

To determine who is liable for a construction defect, we research what party or parties are responsible for what happened. Possible liable parties are:

  • General contractor
  • Subcontractor, independent contractor
  • Engineer, specifications designer
  • Architect
  • Developer
  • Surveyor
  • Planner
  • Supervisor
  • Testing professional

There may be multiple parties with legal faults. Our law firm will investigate all possibilities to pursue your claim.

South Carolina Construction, Notice and the Opportunity to Cure

When you’re faced with a construction defect in South Carolina, you need solutions. S.C. Code § 40-59-810 et. seq. may apply if your claim involves a single-family dwelling, duplex, condominium, or apartment complex of up to 16 units and three stories. The law requires the defendant to directly answer allegations of a defect, allowing them to negotiate a resolution without formal litigation.

If your claim falls under the law, you must provide notice of your intent to file a lawsuit 90 days before making the filing. The contractor has 30 days to inspect, suggest a remedy, offer to settle the claim or deny it. They must reply in writing. If they ask for an inspection, you must allow it at an agreeable time. If they don’t respond within 30 days, it’s treated as a denial, and you may proceed to bring your case to court.

If the South Carolina Notice and Opportunity to Cure Construction Dwelling Defects Act applies to you, it’s important to comply with the technical requirements to advance your claim. As your construction defect lawyers, we can determine if the law applies, comply with the steps to provide notice, and handle all communications with the other parties. We will work to resolve your case efficiently, considering all possible legal courses of action.

Construction Defect Claim FAQs

What is the statute of repose for construction defects in South Carolina?

The statute of repose for construction defects in South Carolina is eight years. After the period expires, there is no longer liability for a construction defect. However, the parties may agree to an extended period of liability. In addition, a statute of limitations of three years begins to run when an owner knows of the defect.

How long is a builder liable for their work in South Carolina?

Under S.C. Code § 15-3-640, a builder is liable for their work for eight years in South Carolina. However, a statute of limitations also applies to the party bringing the claim.

Is South Carolina a construction defect state?

South Carolina does not limit construction defect claims to the original homeowner. The current owner may bring a claim in the state if they are within the statute of limitations and the total period for construction defect claims.

Do you have to move out of your home to pursue construction defect compensation?

You should be able to continue to live in your home while you pursue compensation for a construction defect. Our law firm can assist you to preserve evidence and build your case.

How Can a Construction Defect Attorney Help?

If you suspect that there may be a problem with your residential dwelling, we invite you to contact us to get help from a construction defect attorney. Savage, Royall & Sheheen, LLP, is a well-established law firm with the resources to assist you in all aspects of your legal matters.

Some of our services may include:

  • Investigating what occurred and your options to claim compensation.
  • Proving that the problem is a construction defect.
  • Following steps to initiate a case including a notice of claim.
  • Valuing the compensation you deserve.
  • Asserting all legal grounds for financial relief.
  • Researching complex questions of law that may be unique to your case.
  • Guiding you through making decisions.
  • Negotiating and advocating for you.

When you need a construction defect lawyer, you can work with a law firm that has been serving the Camden, SC community for decades. We serve clients in Lancaster, Kershaw, and Chesterfield counties, and throughout the state.

Consultations Available – Taking New Cases

The Savage, Royall & Sheheen, LLP, construction defect lawyers are taking new cases in Camden, SC and the surrounding areas. If you are ready to begin your case, or if you want to talk to a lawyer about concerns regarding construction workmanship, please contact us.

When we represent you, you’re not a number. You’re a lifelong client. We will advocate for your compensation as we have advocated for members of our community for 97 years.

See how we can assist you, and what your claim may be worth. Start your case today. Call 803-432-4391 or message us now to begin.

Savage Royall & Sheheen Logo


Available 24/7

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.